Monday, February 8, 2010

What is love?

For most of my life, I've imagined I would find the "perfect love". You know, the cute guy chases you down at the airport just seconds before you board the plane to tell you he can't live without you. That's when you have a big dramatic kiss and you live happily ever after. Really? I blame you... Disney, romantic comedies, TV and every other media that projects this "love is perfect" image. From the time we are little girls we pretend we are princesses or brides. We look forward to our future wedding as the pinnacle of our lives. I know I based everything around that moment thinking, "NOW, my life will be amazing".

Let me be clear.....I'm still a sappy romantic. I don't hate love. I'm just trying to be more cautious; not give my heart away like candy at a parade. That is kind of like trying to stop a speeding train. Once my heart feels an ounce of admiration, fascination or attraction it takes off on it's own, without my permission.

I long for a deep connection with someone. I never really had that with my ex-husband, although I tried. He just doesn't need the emotional level of intimacy that I do. Sometimes I feel like my expectations are too high, but other times I think "why can't I have that?". I just knew I couldn't continue my life without feeling passion and love at every turn.

"Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age" -- James Joyce

I don't know when or where I will find someone to share that passion with. That unknown is frightening and exhilarating all at the same time. I know love is never perfect. Prince Charming forgets to take out the trash and whines about spending time with your family or friends. All I ask is that he share his true feelings with me, let me in. I will gladly return the favor.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rachel. No matter how old or jaded I get, I will always hold onto that hope of finding someone who fits with me.

    ReplyDelete